Monday, February 22, 2016

Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Eyeshadow Palette

The eyeshadow palette was the first thing that I got from the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani collection. I'm not a huge No Doubt fan, but I love Gwen's style. She always looks cool and I admire her whole aesthetic.

They eyeshadow palette comes in a box with a white and gold geometric design.


 

The palette itself is black, gold and white with a graphic circle pattern on the front.


Like the blush palette, this eyeshadow palette has a mirror on the top and also has "Magic's in the makeup" printed on the mirror.


Again, the design is flawless and the eyeshadow palette fits perfectly with the rest of the collection.

The shadows themselves are a mix of neutrals with a few pops of color.

I find myself reaching for Skimp, Anaheim, Zone and Serious on a regular basis. Skimp is great for all over color, Anaheim is a pretty crease color, Zone is good for lower lash liner and Serious is nice for upper lash liner. Bathwater, Blonde and Stark are also good for all over lid color. Steady and Baby are great for adding some shimmer. I've used Danger and 1987 for liner and they both work well. If you're not a bright eyeshadow kind of person, using the bolder colors as liner is a nice way to venture out of your comfort zone. Blackout is also a good liner, but not one that I reach for often. Punk is too warm for me, but would be nice on a warmer skin tone. Pop and Harajuku are both glitter bombs and create a ton of fallout, but can be contained with some glitter primer (the NYX one is great! More on that later!)

Here are some swatches. The shades in each photo follow the layout of the palette. The left column from top to bottom is Pop, Harajuku, Danger, 1987, Blackout. The middle column from top to bottom is Baby, Anaheim, Stark, Zone and Serious. The right column from top to bottom is Blonde, Bathwater, Skimp, Steady and Punk. This is inside with no flash:

Here is inside with flash:

And this is outside in direct sun with no flash:

 My arm is about NW15, so Blonde, Bathwater and Skimp blend in with my skintone.

Here's a shot of me wearing Skimp all over my lid and brow bone, Anaheim in the crease and lower lash line, Baby on my lid, and Serious on my upper lash line. This photo was taken about 6 hours after I applied my makeup, so it stays on well. I did use Too Faced Shadow Insurance for eye primer.

After having an opportunity to dig into this palette, I've found that it's one that I want to use over and over. Overall, the shadows wear well, have good pigmentation and are easy to apply. Like the blushes, if your skintone is similar to Gwen's, you'll find this eyeshadow palette will be a good match. Deeper skin tones may find a lot of shades too ashy. I'm NW20 and this palette works great for me.

I have read a lot of reviews that say this palette is just a lot of neutrals and not very unique. I think you could certainly make that argument. However, I justify it because I can't get enough neutrals and I have a weakness for eyeshadow palettes. So it was one that I just couldn't pass up. The Gwen Stefani Urban Decay eyeshadow palette is a keeper for me! No regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment