Thursday, January 28, 2016

SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense and Sheer Physical UV Defense

Since my skin breaks out at the drop of a hat, I have to be extremely careful about what I use. After much trial and error, the quest for perfect sunscreen led me to Skinceuticals. I like their Physical Fusion UVDefense, which has a slight tint.

Here is Physical Fusion applied heavily to the left and blended on the right.

I use the untinted version, as well, which is called Sheer Physical UV Defense, and has a bit of a white cast. My skin is about NW20 or maybe lighter in the winter. Physical Fusion is a bit too dark for me, so I combine 2/3 of it with about 1/3 the amount of Sheer Physical, which acts a white mixer. It comes out to be a great shade match for me. Sheer Physical is so white that it’s almost blue on my skin, so I don’t like to use it on its own. 
I have it swatched here more opaque on the left and then sheered to the right.

I also find that Sheer Physical is a bit more drying and matte, whereas Physical Fusion seems to have more slip and the finish is on the dewy side. Mixing them together gives the best of both worlds and makes a good primer for later application of concealer and foundation.
Both of these sunscreens are SPF 50 and both have titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as their active ingredients. I find that physical sunscreens work better than chemical sunscreens for me, as they don’t typically break me out. However, since physical sunscreens block sunlight by reflecting it, they can cause flashback when using flash photography. This just makes your skin look ghostly, but I am already so pale that it’s not really a problem for me.


The texture on both sunscreens is watery and thin. It feels very light on the skin and has a slight sunscreen scent that fades after initial application. Once applied, these will dry down, but I still like to apply loose powder to set.
Even though Physical Fusion is tinted, it is very sheer. It does even the appearance of the skin, but if you have any redness, dark circles or hyperpigmentation, you will still need concealer and/or foundation. Any foundation, concealer or loose powder that I've tried has applied beautifully over these sunscreens. I never have a problem with pilling or caking.

Here I am wearing both sunscreens mixed, Clinique Airbrush concealer in Neutral Matte, Clinique Blended Face Powder in Transparency Neutral, Lily Lolo mineral foundation in China Doll, Anastasia Brow Wiz in Taupe, Nars Robotic blush from the Steven Klein One Shocking Moment Palette, Nars Laguna bronzer, Becca Moonstone highlighter, Mac Bare Study Paint Pot, Benefit They're Real Tinted Lash Primer, and Clinique Chubby Stick in Mega Melon.

I’ve been using these sunscreens since they came out and I will be very sad if they are ever discontinued! Every time I stray and try a different sunscreen, I either break out or end up with itchy skin. Then I come crawling back to these guys and am grateful for a safe haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment