Friday, January 29, 2016

Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water

I recently tried Smashbox’s new primer water as a 100 point perk from Sephora. I didn’t have a lot of faith that I would like it, but I tried it for science.

The description on Sephora’s site states, “Suggested Usage:
Mist on this multitasking water in three ways:
-Prime to create the sheerest canvas for makeup application.
-Try as a setting spray to lock in your look.
-Refresh throughout the day to wake up skin.”

This primer is clear and watery, as the name would indicate. It does not contain silicone, oil or alcohol. It has a light scent, kind of like a toner, but it dissipates almost immediately. It sprays out a fine mist, but do keep it arm’s length as you spritz, otherwise you can get little droplets on your face.

I tried using it as a primer, and didn’t really notice any difference. Plus, I didn’t like the dewy feeling of my skin as I applied my concealer and foundation. I’m always trying to mattify, so more dewiness to overcome seemed like a pointless step. Next, I tried applying all of my makeup (except mascara to avoid raccoon eyes) and then sprayed 5-6 pumps of primer water. Much better! I wear a lot of powder products, so this really helped to take away that dusty look and helped my skin look more “skinlike” without looking greasy. It was also fun to spray and did feel really lovely, but I didn’t notice that it made my make-up last longer.

I also tried refreshing my makeup later in the day with a few spritzes of the primer water, which felt invigorating, but made my skin look oilier. If you have dry skin, you might find this helpful. However, my skin is combo, so I’m usually trying to mop oil off my chin halfway through the day.

So applying this primer as a setting spray is the clear winner for me. I’ve been using it for a few weeks and haven’t had any reactions or breakouts. I have double checked the ingredients and don’t see anything that is a trigger for my skin. 

I actually bought a full-size container after I ran out of the sample. It is great for taking away that chalky look, especially after mineral powder foundation. Plus, I just really enjoy using it. I’m loving this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment