Monday, February 15, 2016

Real Techniques Limited Edition Duo Fiber Collection

I got the Real Techniques Limited Edition Duo Fiber set from Ulta last month.

I checked today and it doesn't look like it's listed there anymore, but you can find it here on Amazon. It was a screaming deal because Ulta was having a BOGO sale on Real Techniques and I stacked the $3.50 coupon that Ulta always has on top. So it that works out to $2.74 per brush. However, even if you pay full price, the brushes would only be $6.33 per brush if you buy the set on Amazon. 

Pricing aside, are they any good?

I am very happy with this set!


 I feel like they are similar to MAC's duo fiber brushes. Overall, the Real Techniques brushes are soft on the skin and do a very nice job of depositing product very lightly. Since they are duo fiber, they don't pick up a lot of product. I like to use them for powder products.

The largest brush is similar to the MAC 187. The main difference is that the MAC 187 is a flat top brush, the brush head is slightly longer, the handle is longer and the ferrule is round. The Real Techniques face brush has a rounded top and the ferrule is pinched. These differences aside, I would say the feeling on the skin and the performance is very similar. The Real Techniques brush is slightly denser and picks up a tiny bit more product than the MAC 187. I use them both for applying loose powder and loose mineral powder and enjoy them both.

The medium sized contour brush in the set is similar to the MAC 188.

The contour brush has a rounded head and pinched ferrule, whereas the MAC 188 has a flat top, longer handle and longer brush head. I have reached for the contour brush the least, but when I have used it, I applied highlighter with it. It performed well, but I've been in love with my Wayne Goss 02 brush for highlight lately, so it has taken precedence over all others. That being said, the contour brush is very soft and applies powder highlighter subtly. I am going to put this one in my travel makeup case.

Last in the set is the duo fiber eye brush. It is similar to the MAC 286.

The main differences between the Real Techniques duo fiber eye brush and the MAC 286 is that the 286 is denser, the handle is longer and the brush head is longer. Both ferrules are rounded. I like to use the Real Techniques duo fiber eye brush to put on loose powder on top of my under eye concealer. It applies a very small amount, which prevents caking. However, it can get kind of stabby if you press too hard. I have used it for blending out eyeshadow, too. It works, but it wouldn't be my first choice for blending. I like the MAC 217 or 286 for this purpose. The MAC 286 is better for applying loose mineral foundation for concealing red spots and scars. It picks up more product and feels soft no matter what application technique you use. I like both of these, but I like the 286 better.

Aside from performance, one other note is the color. They showed up on the Ulta website as having white handles. This is how they are displayed on Amazon, too. However, as you can see, my set has orange, pink and purple handles. I'd prefer white handles, but it's not a deal breaker 

My other small complaint with Real Techniques brushes is the packaging. It is so wasteful! I would really like to see them use packaging that is more environmentally friendly.

For the price, however, this is a solid set of brushes. Are there better brushes out there? Sure. But this is a good value for what you get. I would recommend picking them up if you like duo fiber brushes. Overall, I've really enjoyed using them and I'm glad I got two sets. Because you can never have too many brushes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment